Ten Things of Thankful In The Garden

Inspired by the weekly question in the Ten Things of Thankful blog site, I’m dedicating this post to the gardens around my house. They are symbols of love, hard work, organization, planning, caring and then watching it all come to mature fruition.  Sort of a metaphor for our marriage and life together.  They hold memories of family times and notable occasions.

Herb pots

Clay pots of herbs adorn the sides of the three brick steps coming out of the back door. It is convenient for me to step out and cut some chives, rosemary or flat leaf parsley for a recipe. We also have basil, oregano, cilantro and a new one this year – tarragon.

The patios and walkways around the pool in the yard hold large potted plants:

Geranium

This is one of my favorite. Large trailing bright red geraniums surround some light green tongue-like foliage in the center of the pot. The color contrast is pleasing.

Impatients pot

White impatiens surround a reddish-green spike plant in this pot and yes, that is the post from a clothesline in the periphery.

Mandevilla

The bright pink flowers of the trailing vinca below the tropical mandevilla complement each other nicely. The mandevilla is a vine that is climbing a small trellis in the pot.

Croatan

Croatan leaves in the pot center are various tropical colors. They are light or dark green with pronounced yellow or red lines of veins in the center. Around them we have placed a variety of annuals and some creeping jenny to cascade over the sides of the pot.

The Grove

Our very first garden spot we call the grove. You enter a leafy green and shady paradise down one brick step that is flanked by two urn shaped concrete pots filled with pink and white foliage.

Peonies

Briefly, in late spring, the peonies bloom, pink cabbage roses bursting from large round buds in the midst of some dark green leafage.

And in the family garden:

Four generations of Newmans

Four generations: The newest Newman (Princess Aubree) held and being fed by her father, my son in the middle, my mother-in-law on the right and my husband, dashing home from the job for a quick photo, on the left. We might call this a rose and some thorny weeds, in keeping with the garden metaphor.

Great Grandma

Aubree Sue met her paternal great grandmother this week. Shirley is holding the dear baby in her arms as she held her children and grandchildren over the years. So much love in her heart and her eyes.

I am thankful for the love and beauty surrounding me in my home and family.

Ten Things of Thankful

Join in the fun at the Ten Things of Thankful bloghop hosted by Josie Two Shoes.

This entry was posted in Gratitude and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Ten Things of Thankful In The Garden

1. Beautiful post, Val, in many ways. I miss having herbs on the back porch. Maybe I’ll try again this year.

• Val says:

It’s so fun to have fresh herbs at your doorstep, literally. The more you trim them and use them, the better they grow

2. May says:

Fantastic! Love this post. The baby is so so sweet! She looks so content with Great Grandma. What a blessing that they are on this earth simultaneously.
    Your yard is incredible. I would start and end each day strolling through the yard soaking in that beauty. It is so soothing, isn’t it? Thank you for sharing.

3. Excellent photos (and descriptions)… like ‘the grove’… while plants are… ok, larg(er) scale landscaping is a lot of fun.

• Val says:

We only tried growing veggies once. There wasn’t enough sun in the spot we chose. We enjoy the flowers

4. Roshni says:

What a sweet photo! And, I love your backyard!

5. dyannedillon says:

Oh, that baby girl is so precious! And your garden is so pretty! I hate gardening, hate, hate, HAAAATE it, so if you want to come over and do something with my yard, feel free 🙂

6. Pat B says:

Your garden is so pretty! It looks like such a peaceful place to be. Your beautiful family photos with your newest “branch” of your family tree bring smiles now and will do so in the years to come.

7. What a beautiful and peaceful post, Val! The love you have for your gardens and for your extended family is evident all the way through and leaves me smiling on this Tuesday night. The location of your potted herbs is perfect, very convenient, and so many pretty large planters overflowing with assorted colorful things! Surely the grove would be my favorite spot and you would find me there with my tablet happily writing away in the presence of such beauty! I have always loved peonies too, from the time my mother grew them when I was small.

Little Aubree Sue is a true beauty with her perfect features and all that dark hair! It is clear that she is delighting everyone who sees her or gets to hold her, and I can’t wait to watch her grow and discover that she has the most wonderful Grandma that God has ever given a little girl! <3

8. Carin says:

Your garden looks beautiful. Meanwhile my yard clean up man is taking two days or more just mowing, plowing, and wacking overgrown weeds around my house. After that, perhaps I can keep up with my reel mower regularly.

9. UP says:

Really great. That multi-generation thing is so awesome.